My experience with inspiration goes like this: it strikes when it strikes and generally it does not strike at the most practical time. Which is how I found myself, at one this afternoon, heading off to the store for ingredients to make this pie while I should have been busy barbecuing. Another thing I’ve learned about inspiration is that if you don’t act on your thought in the moment, it tends to fade away and that first glorious sense of realization tends to seem far less brilliant as it did when the idea first struck. So here I am blogging about a 4th of July pie that it’s too late for any of you to make! There’s always next year, right? Besides Americana is in right now, and you can be patriotic any day. Also, I really just couldn’t resist!
For the recipe, I went off of Cafe Hon’s recipe! So you can check it out here for more detailed instructions.
Stars and Stripes Mixed Berry Pie
Dough: I bought it! Hey, this was all very last minute!
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups fresh or frozen rasberries
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Roll out the bottom crust of dough and place in pie dish.
3) Mix all the filling ingredients together and fill the pie. (If you are using frozen berries, make sure to defrost and drain first).
4) Roll out the top pie crust on a piece on parchment paper.
5) To begin making the flag, first lightly trace the image by making slight indentations in the crust. Once you are satisfied with the design then cut out the strips of the flag and star gently. Once you’re done, it’s ready to be placed on the pie! I found that it was easier to move if I placed a second piece of parchment over the top. This way, I could lift the crust up easily and remove the bottom piece of parchment without spreading the design. Seal the endges, cut off extra pie crust, and use your thumbs to make ridges along the edge.
6) Brush cream and sprinkle sugar over the top of the pie.
7) Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.